Thursday, March 19, 2009

JENNIFER LOVEGROVE



Jennifer LoveGrove for DESK SPACE

DESK SPACE Who (a one-liner or a bio)?

JENNIFER LOVEGROVE Jennifer LoveGrove is the author of two books of poetry: I Should Never Have Fired the Sentinel (ECW Press, 2005) and The Dagger Between Her Teeth (ECW Press, 2002). She produces and hosts the literary radio program "In Other Words" once a month on CKLN 88.1FM. For over ten years, she has edited and published dig. Visit her at jenniferlovegrove.com



DS When did you start writing, publish your first book (or when are you publishing your next)?

JL I started writing stories from a very young age. I remember hanging out in my closet, sitting on the floor with a standard typewriter, writing a story called "The Macaws' Triumph." It was the first thing I ever submitted to a publisher, and I was shocked and devastated when it was rejected. I think I was in the fourth grade.



DS Where do you write (at your desk/outside/in bed)?

JL I no longer write by flashlight in a closet. Mostly I am really normal and sit at my desk and type. I do sit on a pilates ball instead of a chair because it feels better and is good for the lower back, which I am also hoping improves my hockey-playing skills. Sometimes I write at the Rhino or at my friend Julia's when we have Writing Marathon Day (which usually involves prosecco and gossip). I carry a notebook and write bits of stuff that come to mind on the subway or when I'm half asleep, but that doesn't really count.

DS Why do you work where you do (at your desk because it is a quiet space/outside b/c it helps you think/in the park b/c you can smoke, etc)?

JL I write at my desk because it is near all the tools of procrastination that I employ: kitchen, bath, laundry, music, etc. Also because I have a large, numbered and colour-coded chart to help me organize the weird chronology and points of view in my current manuscript, and I refer to it often. It's too big to carry around with me.



DS What are you working on now?

JL I am working on the next draft of my novel, Watch How We Walk. I look forward to finishing it, for the love of god.

No comments: