Thursday, December 17, 2009

ALICE BURDICK

About some things on or near my desk:

The handprints are Hazel's, along with the paper poppy. Directly above her art is a painting by Drew Klassen of a tv showing snow. Below Hazel's handprints is an etching by Susan Fothergill. The baby swinging away is Arthur, 3 months old.

Alice Burdick for DESK SPACE

DESK SPACE Who?

ALICE BURDICK I'm Alice Burdick, poet and mother, human working on stuff. Author of Flutter (Mansfield Press, 2008) and Simple Master (Pedlar Press, 2002), as well as a whole slew of chapbooks etc.

DS When did you start writing, publish your first book (or when are you publishing your next)?

AB I started writing at a very early age, little rhyming poems and then, later, a play about a ballerina. My Dad is a poet (I call him a secret poet) and translator, and used to speak to me in Old Norse. My first book, Voice of Interpreter, was published in 1991 through The Eternal Network (I was co-editor with Victor Coleman). My first perfectbound book was Simple Master, published in 2002. Flutter came out in 2008.

DS Where do write (at your desk/outside/in bed)

AB I write poems in little or large notebooks or sketchbooks wherever I may be sitting or lying down. Later they go into the old computer and then I edit em.

DS Why you work where you do (at you desk because it is a quiet space/outside b/c it helps you think or in the park b/c you can smoke, etc)?

AB I like my desk, but I can only work at it really these days after my daughter Hazel is asleep or when she is at daycare. What I like about writing by hand into notebooks is that it can happen anywhere and I don't have to use any electricity to do so. We're in an old house and eventually my office will be in the attic, in a dormer window, but for now my station is set up in the dining room. You can see a hutch with a cake bell on top of it right behind the desk.

DS What are you working on now?

AB I'm working sporadically on a new bunch of poems. I don't usually write to make a cohesive manuscript, but I've got an idea in my head right now to write something tentatively titled 'Baby everything'. I am not afraid of the domestic or my children appearing in my writing.

2 comments:

Zachariah Wells said...

I miss the wallpaper.

Alice Burdick said...

Oh, the wallpaper's still there - in the other rooms! Optometrist mind control wallpaper.